[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2205: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2205: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
SL2College • View topic - Transportation Questions (San Fransisco)
We may already have an answer for your question in our forum, please use the "Search" box on the top right-hand side to search for keywords related to your question. If you cannot find an answer, please post your question in the appropriate forum below

Transportation Questions (San Fransisco)

Questions relating to housing and living

Transportation Questions (San Fransisco)

Postby poornimaw » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:11 am

1) Should I take the Shuttle service or bus from the san Francisco airport to Stanford? Will there be space for the luggage in the shuttle service (3 bags)? Does the shuttle drop us at the exact place where we want to go or at one designated spot in the campus? What are the other alternative transportation options? http://www.stanford.edu/dept/rde/scs/area/transportation.html (a taxi looks expensive)

2) If my dad is coming for a few days is the Stanford Guest house (http://www.stanford.edu/dept/rde/guesthouse/) the best place to stay (best as in economical and closest. Are their other alternatives? I’m guessing he cant stay in my apartment)

3) My dad is coming with me and he will be staying from Sept 4th to 11th. Could you please recommend a few places for us to see, while he is there.
Tentative Iternary
Sept 5-6, Sat & Sun: San Francisco (Pls suggest places to visit, events and eating joints)
Sept 7, Monday: University
Sept 8, Tuesday: Yosemite National Park (do u suggest we stay over one night here) Google maps said it takes about 3.5 hours to travel from Stanford to this place. Any good place to stay?
Sept 9,10 Wednesday, Thursday : LA (is the most economical way to get here by train/ by bus?) Any good place to stay? Also places to see.
If u think LA or Yosemite is a bit too far away then what are the closer places to see? I am really lost. But if u throw in a few names of places I can do the research and then decide. It looks so utterly vast and scary.
Sept 11 Friday: leaving (Mid night)
Also remember my dad is a bit old. So I don’t want overly exhaust him.

cheers
Hope someone would find the time to answer these :)

Hope to hear from u soon
poornimaw

Re: Transportation Questions (San Fransisco)

Postby janakasoft » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:58 am

Hi
Work and live near Stanford in San Fransisco Bay area.
1) I think shuttle would be the best choice for you - it should have enough space for the luggage. I taxi would cost around $80-$90 from SFO. Another low cost choice is taking BART from SFO to Millbrae, then taking Caltrain from there to Palo Alto and then taking the Stanford free shuttle from the PA station to your apartment. But I wouldnt recommend this since this is your first time here. also if u arrive at night, some of these might not be available.
Alternatively if you know someone in the area, you can ask for a ride.

2) You can check if there are any sublets using craigslist http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/sub/
Also use google maps to search for low cost hotels etc

3) Do you plan to rent a car? if not you have to stick to the public transportation. See Transit511 - http://tripplanner.transit.511.org/mtc/ ... anguage=en

There might be some rides which will take you to Yosemite and back e.g. http://www.yosemite-tours.com/index.htm
You can take the Caltran to the San Fransisco city and there are lot of places to visit and tours/rides which will take you to these places. Search for "San Francisco Tours" in google. I think Golden Gate bridge is a must see in SF.

Maybe someone living in the area longer than me can add few more suggestions.

Janaka
janakasoft

Postby nuwans » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:19 am

1) Should I take the Shuttle service or bus from the san Francisco airport to Stanford?
As Janaka said shuttle is the better option.
Will there be space for the luggage in the shuttle service (3 bags)?
Yes there will be plenty of space
Does the shuttle drop us at the exact place where we want to go or at one designated spot in the campus?
Shuttles will drop you at any exact address you want.
What are the other alternative transportation options? http://www.stanford.edu/dept/rde/scs/ar ... ation.html (a taxi looks expensive)
Taxi is a bit pricey. I would not recommend BART/Caltrain if you have a lot of heavy luggage.

2) If my dad is coming for a few days is the Stanford Guest house (http://www.stanford.edu/dept/rde/guesthouse/) the best place to stay (best as in economical and closest. Are their other alternatives? I’m guessing he cant stay in my apartment)
Depends on your apartment. If you are sharing with someone, it might be a bit difficult. However, if you have a studio/apartment things might be different.

Hope this helps!
Nuwan
nuwans

Postby Nishad » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:25 am

1) Should I take the Shuttle service or bus from the san Francisco airport to Stanford?
As everyone said get the shuttle. when you come out of the airport, look for this big blue van, that has Super Shuttle written on in yellow letters. They will drop you off at exactly where you want to go for about $30 and its $9 more for a passenger riding with you (Father). http://www.supershuttle.com/

He can, even if you have a room mate, I think you can explain her the situation -i.e. you are new and wants fathers help etc. they would understand. What is your housing assignment?

3) My dad is coming with me and he will be staying from Sept 4th to 11th. Could you please recommend a few places for us to see, while he is there.
All this would depend on whether you rent a car or not. You can rent/drive here with Sri Lankan license, remember its on the other side of the road. you can look in hotwire, carentals.com for good car deals. Public transportation is expensive and ineffective in the US, so both Yosemite and LA would be difficult to get to by bus/train. La would be a better option, you can fly there from SFO for cheaper than the train. Given the number of days you have I would recommend staying with in 200miles distance. check out, Bigsur, Bigbasin, carmel, monterey, for,nature type/ marine wild life visits.

SF has a lot of cool places to see, you can pick up a few travel brochures from the airport and see what places you would like to see the most. There is plenty to do there.
Nishad

P.S.
let me know/post if you have any stanford specific questions as well..welcome!
Nishad

Postby inev » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:26 am

Hey,

Which school are from? Glad to know there is another Sri Lankan going to Stanford. I got admitted this year too...
inev

Postby sam » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:57 am

Hello

Sept 5-6, Sat & Sun: San Francisco (Pls suggest places to visit, events and eating joints)

You can buy SF city pass which is about $60 per person. This includes tickets for 5 major attractions plus unlimited travel within the city (for 7 consecutive days) transportation (muni). I used this few weeks ago, and its a good deal. If you have this, only expense is to take a BART to downtown SF, after that you are free to go anywhere with the pass (just show the pass to muni drivers........). If you are planning to buy this, do not pay for shipping, you have an option to get the e-ticket, go the the first attaction of the list and get the city pass booklet (what we did was, took the e-ticket to Aquarium of the Bay and got the pass for all the other locations plus muni pass). This way you can save about $15 for the shipping and handling

http://www.citypass.com/city/sanfrancisco.html

Except for the SF Museum of modern Art, we basically covered all those on the pass. If you need, I can give some more details on each attraction. Keep in mind that, Sunday is one of the busiest in all these attractions. You need to go early to beat the crowd.

You can pass several blocks from the Aquarium of the Bay (SF PIER 39) to PIER 43, there is a cool sea food restaurant (its on the bay side), Franciscan Crab Restaurant. We tried $40 big crab dish, thats what we called AMBROSIA :D

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=37.809063,-122.41463&t=h&sll=37.775206,-122.419209&sspn=0.141179,0.256119&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=37.809123,-122.414539&spn=0.001191,0.00283&z=19&layer=c&cbll=37.808911,-122.414674&panoid=OADG8m8n5reObVaQX73H2Q&cbp=12,48.67,,0,-15.22

Hope this helps

Sam
sam

Postby poornimaw » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:58 pm

Hey

Thank you soo much for all the great information :) and the prompt replies... It was really helpful.. I think i'll take the city pass
Inev - lets catch up when u r at stanford.. :)
poornimaw

Return to USA: Housing and Living